USS Dealey DE 1006
lead destroyer escort of the Dealey (DE-1006) class was authorized in FY1952. DE-1014 and 1015 followed in FY1953, DE-1021
and 1022 in FY1954, and DE-1023 thru 1030 in FY1955 for a total of thirteen ships. These were commissioned in the US Navy
1954-58. DE-1039, 1042, and 1046 of this design were authorized as offshore procurements for the Portugese Navy, DE-1007 thru
1013 and 1016 thru 1019 were offshore procurements for the French Navy, and DE-1020 for the Italian Navy; all built in foreign
shipyards to the DE-1006 specification. A total of fifteen offshore procurements were built.
These were the first escort ships built for the US Navy following World
War II. They were to carry a Mk17 Hedgehog launcher which utilized a 5-inch/38 mounting and carried 61 rounds but this program
was cancelled. Dealey (DE-1006) was fitted with "Squid", a British ASW weapon, in 1954 but this weapon was found
unsuitable and was removed. These ships were slightly faster and larger than their Second World War predecessors. They were
fitted with the newer Mk33 3-inch guns in twin mounts, the Weapon "Alpha" ASW rocket, one depth charge rack and
six depth charge projectors. They were later modernized; the Weapon Alpha and depth charge equipment was removed and replaced
with the Mk112 ASROC 8-tube anti-submarine rocket launcher which could fire a nuclear tipped depth charge or encapsulated
Mk46 torpedo, and two triple Mk32 torpedo mounts which could fire the Mk46 lightweight homing torpedo.
Their service life was short, on average
fifteen years; the class was decommissioned 1972-73 after introduction of the Knox (DE-1052) class frigates which were much
larger and more capable. The inability of this class to carry ASW helicopters contributed to their early retirement. Dealey
(DE-1006) was transferred to Uruguay and Hartley (DE-1029) to Columbia in July 1972. The remainder were sold for scrap.